We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEN/and or disabilities and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.
If your child is moving to another school:
- We will contact the new school’s SENCO and ensure s/he knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
When moving classes in school:
- Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in all cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher.
- A transition book is made and a copy made for home to help your child understand moving on.
In Year 6
- The Inclusion Manager will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their secondary school.
- Your child will attend a small group in school, to support their understanding of the changes ahead. This may include creating a ‘Personal Passport’ which includes information about themselves for their new school.
- Where possible your child will visit their new school accompanied by a member of staff who knows them well and in many cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.