How will we support your child with identified special needs starting at school?
- If your child has been allocated a place in our Foundation Stage 2 (Reception) class via the local authority and they have a special educational need and/ or disability, please contact us as soon as you receive the offer as we may not have details of their needs at this stage.
- We will first invite you to visit the school with your child to have a look around and speak to staff.
- If other professionals are involved, a Team Around the Child (TAC) meeting will be held to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies used, and ensure provision is put in place before your child starts.
- Your child’s key person may make a home visit and also visit your child if they are attending another provision; this will automatically happen if your child is starting in the Nursery.
- We may suggest adaptations to the settling in period to help your child to settle more easily but these will be agreed with you at the TAC meeting.
- If they have not already visited, your child will be invited into school in advance of starting to meet the staff they will be working with and their peer group.
- The class teacher will arrange an early meeting with you to review your child’s learning, following the settling in period.
- The staff will then hold regular meetings in school to monitor the progress of your child and invite you into school at least once a term to review this with you.